View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd not tell any non-English speaker how to do books in their own language. I only know a tiny bit about French, German and Spanish punctuation. I'm most familiar with British, Hiberno-British and least with American English. Conventions for a US or UK publisher are different apart from the minefield of spelling, meaning and idioms.

Indeed there are some subtle differences on US and British punctuation of dialogue.
Quote:
"I'm going home," said he.
You might have
"I'm going home," said Bill.
or
"I'm going home," Bill said.
But
you'd have: "I'm going home," he said. Always, never: "I'm going home," said he.

The logic is that the speech tag (he said, Bill said or said Bill) is part of the same sentence as the speech. Hence the apparent redundant comma. Also it's why only titles and names after the closing quote are capitalised even if '. !, ?, — or …' is before the closing quote.

Try above with replied, asked, exclaimed, shouted.
Exclaimed:
"I'm going home!" exclaimed Bill.
OR (not as nice)
"I'm going home!" Bill exclaimed.
"I'm going home!" he exclaimed. Having 'exclaimed he.' is weird.

This also works:
"Is it time to go home?" exclaimed Bill.

In any writing it's best to be consistent with proper names in speech tags.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote