View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help! Important conversion question

I wrote in the Workshop forum about the troubles I am having getting mobis generated from HTML to display correctly on various devices. I want a master file I can convert as needed and get an error-free output. I don't want to have to re-fiddle every time I get a new device, I want to be able to just send to a disk or device in Calibre (or convert if needed) and go. I have tried every trick I could think of to sanitize the HTML to no avail.

Finally, I tried converting the HTML to epub and then converting the epub to mobi (instead of using the HTML to convert to mobi). It looks like all my problems are solved. Quote marks and em-dashes are displaying fine in the resulting mobi and there are proper paragraph breaks and everything. But I am not sure what is going on behind the scenes.

If I convert all my files this way, can I use the new epub or mobi file as my master and delete the old HTML file? If so, is it better to keep the mobi or the epub? And will this process really generate a file that I can keep that will generate more reliable results in the future for conversion? I have 200 files here so I really REALLY want to just do one thing, now, to fix them up and then never have to worry about it again. I am tired of all this tweaking every time I try a new device.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote