View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
So basically a battery life of more than 3 months with display continuously on? And of course a whole lot better refresh rate. This is HUGE development.
Maybe.
Tech demos do not always lead to viable commercial products.
The price of the screen, the price of the support electronics, the company's ability to ramp up production volume to meet the needs of a major vendor are just some of the things that could derail it.

Mirasol also sounded great on paper...

It would be great if it did get to market at reasonable prices leading to a new generation of ereaders but today's low-cost tablets have tolerable battery life and really low prices. That is going to be a big hurdle price-wise. Can this tech lead to a $199 reader with 40 honest hours battery life? That is the key, not the cool tech in it.

How much market would a 7in ereader using that screen if it came in at $300--from anybody other than Apple?. $250? And that is *today's* market. By next year we may see name-brand tablets at $99.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote