View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #582
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Can do.
The real problem there is that some stuff just won't render "as is" on 6" or 5", no mater the format.
Stuff also won't render as is on a 6x9 paper book size page. It will require human intervention still. Perhaps less of it, or of different sorts... but still.

Edit: Though I see you wrote "some stuff". Well, naturally. But most books, technical and scientific ones among them ought to be convertible with relatively few (and even fewer drastic/fundamental) changes into a 6" (or better yet a 8") eBook format using PDF. But more likely, if it is beyond simple prose, only down-converted into HTML or HTML+images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackau View Post
I agree, pdf is not an Ebook format, maybe in 18 months time, certainly NOT NOW!

E-readers' software need catches up, their hardware is more capable. Then ADOBE is kind enough to give us a FREE software that converts the pdf to a form support by most devices (all ebook makers need is upgrade software to support this new format...)
Darn! Almost 40 pages of sometimes nuanced discussion when the truth was in front of our noses all along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders View Post
I do think that extending PDF as a "container" which has multiple pre-rendered versions is a pretty good idea, and much more elegant than having to keep different files around.
Any chance you are a GUI programmer extraordinaire?

- Ahi

Last edited by ahi; 09-11-2009 at 07:34 AM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote