View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 09:32 AM   #52
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Are all Sony users so defensive? No one is denying that your reader may have a better feature set for your needs, or telling you to cast your reader into the mouth of an active volcano and go buy a Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I chose Sony because the nook treats eBooks not purchased via B&N as second class eBooks. 250MB dedicated to non B&N bought eBooks? No way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The ability to put an external card doesn't mean I don't want internal memory too.
Seriously? You would rather pay a $100-ish premium for a few hundred MB than spend $15 on more book storage than you will likely use in your lifetime? What is it that distinguishes the flash storage inside the device from what you put in the slot, other than the flexibility to transfer the latter to another device?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragyn View Post
I am not happy with B&N's proprietary drm, nor their interfaces: Books I load being segregated from books downloaded directly.
As the reviews have it, the STR interface is not segregated like the old Nooks. Not wanting to support the DRM and "ecosystem" model I can understand, but you can buy epubs anywhere except Amazon, so you needn't have any interaction with B&N whatsoever after purchase.

The STR's pros are definitely greater for those who are new to e-readers, read casually (not referencing and annotating academic publications or technical manuals), and want access to a bookstore without messing around on their PCs (we forum-flies might be surprised by the strength of that demographic). I personally find the social features a bit silly, but they have some appeal with the bookclub crowd, for whom reading is very social.

Just in terms of bang-for-your-buck, the STR is the first e-ink reader I'd even consider, and still hasn't reached a point that I'd pull the trigger. If nookdevs & co. wring a little more functionality out of it and/or the pricepoint gets closer to $100, I might change my mind, but otherwise I'll be sticking with tablets.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote