Thread: Classics East Lynne by Ellen Wood
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2021, 04:16 AM   #40
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I’m well into the novel now and find it strangely compelling even though many of the characters are socially stereotyped and the overt moralising can be a bit annoying. For instance, Chapter 33, The Yearning of a broken heart is, I found, quite moving—even if it is doubtful that individuals at home indulged in religio-philosophic discussions about the nature of suffering. It seems to ring true nonetheless.
I mentioned the LibriVox recording. In fact, there is a much better one by Rachel Atkins. If one downloads the free Kindle edition the Atkins reading is available at a quite low price (€2.99 here). Perhaps the reason I am enjoying the book is owing in large part to her excellent performance.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote