View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #144
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Except for a few things.

1. E-ink is too slow to allow me to flip through PDFs quickly and find tables, sections I marked up before etc. Like I can paper. LCD is much better on that front.
I find it to be slightly slower than a paper book when I'm flipping through page after page, but if I can use a ToC or index to find the key page I want, then it usually seems a bit faster. Also, if I have something important pre-marked for later attention, then I have probably bookmarked it, which is even faster.

Quote:
2. E-ink limits it to that one purpose, I'd rather have a multimedia LCD (or some future color screen technology) or....
And that's fine. It's a personal opinion that I don't share. As I mentioned a couple posts ago, my Droid fulfills that function as much as I need (although it is a little small for any extended online text reading). I spend far too much of my time watching tv or internet now and often feel like I'm shirking my responsibilities to do so. I need to be able to get away from the pull of message boards and You Tube and such to write.

If I wanted to go the route you're suggesting, I would actually prefer to have an "Apple iSlate" style device with a built-in cell phone & Bluetooth so that I can link an earpiece to it. But I don't see that anywhere on the horizon.

Quote:
3. It would have to be a lot less that $859. I'd consider something like the DR1000 or the forthcoming Plastic Logic Que. But only for $300 or so tops as that's about as high as I'd pay for something to use solely for my academic reading--which is just a few hours a month. Paper will suffice until prices come way down, or there's some nice multimedia tablets out that do a great job on that and can also be my main "browse the web on the couch" machine etc.
I heard about the Plastic Logic device well over a year ago, months before I bought my DR, and I'm still hearing about it's just about to come out any day now. And that's fine, but you notice that with the KDX that cut rate price came with cut rate abilities.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote