View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
D1ffuse
D1ffuse began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the advice: Love my PRS-505

Hi All,
I joined this forum in May with the idea of doing some research and buying an eBook reader. I am a compulsive reader who must ALWAYS have at least one book on the go, and not only was this addiction costing me thousands a year in books - I'm a hoarder so I was running out of space to keep them. And let's not talk about the increasing number of heavy boxes I'd have to lug each time I moved house.

So, like I said, I came to mobileread for some advice, and spent the obligatory week or two prevaricating between an iLiad (dream) and a Sony PRS-505 (reality). Reality - and a limited budget - won out. So the Sony became my first eReader.

I've been using it for two months now - I've read well over a dozen books on it, and have flicked tens of thousands of 'pages' and I love it. Doesn't half get comments too, on planes particularly.

Of course it's not perfect. Initially settling on a format for best reading took a little time (I favour RTF files at 14pt) and it does take a while to initially load a book when you select it, oh and Sony's proprietary PC software is crap (but Calibre is great) - but they're minor quibbles. I am extremely happy with my eBook reader - and I have mobileread users to thank.

So to anyone else out there doing what I did and thinking of taking the plunge, or wondering if the iLiad is worth three times the price of the Sony: go ahead, buy the Sony eReader. On bang for your buck it's great value.

And hey! You can always buy an iLiad as well some time down the track.
D1ffuse is offline   Reply With Quote