View Single Post
Old 11-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #10
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingle View Post
I'm still going to keep my Sony Reader. And I'd buy another one, if I had to make the choice again.

However, I'm looking at the Kindle for my mother. I think the ease of buying books from Amazon, plus the availability of titles, makes it a very compelling platform for a person who doesn't want to spend time and effort to convert books to a specific format from free sources.

So... I see the Reader as being a better choice for geeks and people who don't mind fiddling a bit more with their gadgets. The Kindle is perhaps a better choice for people who want it to "just work".

Anyone else feel that divide?
Yes! The Kindle is the America Online (AOL) of the readers! Remember how the techie people HATED America Online so much because of how all the people who didn't know anything could suddenly get online and say "me too!"

Actually that left a bad taste in my mouth because I love my Kindle. But I think it's the same comparison. The people who hate the Kindle seem to be the same ones that say "Come on, writing a little script code isn't hard ya moron!!"

Don't get me wrong tho, I love the techie people that have made life so much easier for us non-techie people....
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote