View Single Post
Old 08-20-2008, 03:35 AM   #7
illiad_fan
illiad_fan began at the beginning.

Device: Illiad
Hi Antartica,
I found that serial_cs module can work with my GPS card and I can get data from it through /dev/ttyS3 from your link.
Thank you very much !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
First of all, you have to search the internet to see if what you intend to do has already been done. Indeed, searching a little in google for linux or BSD support for a CompactFlash Haicom GPS gets some results.

The most promising is this one:

http://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=13206

where they state that the Haicom 303mmf works using the serial_cs.o module. And the report is for an old OpenZaurus version, which is good as that also uses kernel 2.4 (OpenZaurus is a distribution very similar to the one in the iliad, as both are created with the OpenEmbedded framework).

If the GPS you use isn't supported by any driver (nor in Linux nor in the BSDs; searching also for drivers in the BSDs is important as it can be of a lot of help, teaching you the way to make it work easing the writing of your Linux driver), the next step is localizing what chips that card uses; find some photos of one dismantled or dismantle your's if you are proficient in those matters.

Once you have the chip models and the company who has produced them, it's time to search for manuals of those chips in the internet. Normally that is the only information you need to write a driver, but someimes some details about that specific "implementation" is needed and your best bet is to attempt to contact the company hoping that there is some way to get the e-mail to the techs and ask them ;-).

Basically that have worked for me in the drivers I've written (alas, they were for internal use so they are not public :-/ ).

So, first try if you can get it working using the serial_cs.o module ;-)

Good luck! Antartica
illiad_fan is offline   Reply With Quote