View Single Post
Old 08-28-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micky Wicky View Post
- - - -
I even tried to copy libpng12 from a Debian armhf install, but got:

"error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0: internal error"
Translation: Wrong ABI.
Kindles original firmware is still soft float.

So far, I am the only one to report on how to use hard float (concurrently with the native soft float) on the Kindles.
See: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240616

I am planning an update to that project thread, with a new set of (expanded) base libraries RSN. Which **may** include support for the series 2 (K2, DX, DXG) devices.
Def, RSN: Within the next couple of months.

- - - - -

Note:
Amazon can not (currently) use any software licensed GPLv3 (and a lot of modern software is) until they change their packaging so that the end-user can build their own update_*.bin package.

Translation:
They have to reveal their pub/private key pair (never going to happen)
or
Make provision for the end-user to load the end-user's own key pair (when hell freezes over, maybe).

Choice #2 above - that is what our "jail break" does - loads the Mobileread key pair certificate to the device's key store.

I write "maybe" above because the staff of lab126 has been successfully infiltrated with Open Source / Open Hardware minded people on several occasions.

Last edited by knc1; 08-28-2015 at 08:52 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote