View Single Post
Old 04-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hi

It happens that the two existing subset tools, not only work on their own, but also can complement each other. The tool of the Calibre editor uses one list of characters for each font and suppresses unused fonts. The Sigil plugin uses a single common list of characters but produces more compact subsets.

This is what happens when you combine them to make them work successively on the same ePub, begining with the Calibre editor (v. 3.21) and concluding with the Sigil plugin (v. 0.2.0.). This example comes from a rather big book.

The font used is an OpenType fork of Linux Libertine which has been darkened for ebook display using the very nice Sherman script (see at the beginning of this thread).

Looking at the second screenshot, you can see that significant size savings can still be obtained.
How do these compare to FontShrinker, which stands alone, and does not use Calibre, et al, as its basis? I didn't see this mentioned, along the way, which I thought was odd, but ...I'm sure everyone has their own process. While we've certainly used Calibre, due to the reality around ligatures, I'm much more inclined to use FS.

Hitch
Hitch is online now   Reply With Quote