View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsimpson17 View Post
I have a (now) old nook simpletouch with a library of 600+ epubs (many are public domain from Project Gutenburg, some are my own manuscripts converted to epub using Calibre -- thanks, Kovid!). I bought the new nook Glowlight 3 and tried sideloading the entire library of 600+ titles using Calibre and also just by Windows drag and drop -- I tried various folder naming schemes etc. Anyway, the device did not recognize the added files, no matter which approach I tried. I got a replacement device at BN; same thing on the new one.

I finally figured out that you can only sideload a few epubs at a time -- I've tried as many as 30 so far -- and it still takes a few seconds for the device to update the library and recognize the epubs so that I can begin reading. But at least it works.

Adding a library of 600+ epubs all at once just seems to overload the Glowlight 3 -- I don't know if the Library will eventually update or how long it might take (hours? days?), but for the time being, I'm just adding a few epubs at a time using Calibre (I am also taking the opportunity to weed out duplicates etc.!) and it seems to be working. This is a minor inconvenience (and it drove me nuts until I figured it out); I should think BN should be aware of this drawback, and realize that many users are likely to already have large libraries of epubs they'll want to add.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the device, and Calibre! Best wishes.
Before sideloading ebooks put your nook into sleep mode. I have found that my STR works best at sideloading when in sleep mode--loaded 1300 ebooks at one time with in in sleep mode with no problems.

Just as a general observation I have found with all of my android devices usb operations seem to do best with the device in sleep mode.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote