View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #25
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Amazon doesn't need to clutter it's lineup with five momdels but imagine this:

$99 Kindle Junior -- functionality similar to Kobo

$199 Kindle 2 -- reprice of their current edition, with the 2.5 features

$259 Kindle 3 -- the 2010 edition with all 2.5 features, thinner design, revamped keyboard, wifi enabled, serif/sans serif font ... something to set it apart from the existing model and justify the higher price

$399 Kindle DX -- reprice of the current edition, with 2.5 features

$499 Kindle College -- update of the DX to make note-taking easy, wifi added, possibly a revised screen size (ie little larger)

It would also allow it to segment retailers targeting Wal-mart vs university bookshops for example
I'd stick to three models. High. Medium and Low, so to speak.

Evolve one out of the DX line, but updated. Pricing should drop somewhat, just to differentiate it from iPads. Current DX stock gets sold off and the older model discontinued.

Evolve one out of the K2 line, but updated. This would be the "thinner model" coming out, I'd expect, and the old K2 stock would just be sold off for cheap till its gone. Whether you call it K3 or not, I don't know, but it ONLY comes out if the K2 is discontinued. Pricing should drop slightly, but doesn't have to nosedive.

Build a new model, from scratch, to compete with the low end. Wifi only, and priced $150 or lower.

That maintains a reasonably small pool of models.

Last edited by Spiffy; 05-30-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote