View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I ended up ordering an Astak Pocket Pro (5"). I went with this device because it has support for ePub, which does seem to be where we are all (eventually) heading. With ePub I can read books from my library and for me that was important...to be able to check out books from the library. It can read ADE, which I'm not certain, but I think this might be the DRM of ePub. Please ask around on that to be sure, though because I don't want to mislead you.

Additionally it can read non DRMd PDB (eReader), FB2, LIT, MP3, EPUB, PRC (MobiPocket).

Also PDF, TXT, DOC, HTML.

There are some mixed reviews on how good a job it does on some file formats, but Robertb is very active in the Astak forums and he really seems to be listening and getting word back to the "powers that be". There have already been updates to the firmware to fix some issues. I think it's just going to continue to get better.

My main concern was the ePub which quite a few readers can handle. Also I understand Sony is converting their library to ePub so unless they slap something proprietary on there (which wouldn't surprise me given their history), I should be able to purchase books from them if I want, along with Books on Board and other places.

I'm sure others will have some advice for you. I'm definitely not as seasoned or versed as many other very helpful people on the forums but my original and primary goal was the same as yours so thought I would share where I ended up.
French is offline   Reply With Quote