View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
A. You don't highlight in the sense of shading a block of text or cutting it to a file. You simply write on the current page (or a blank page you can insert after it). It's like using a pencil in a paper book.

B. You write with a stylus. You get an on-screen keypad for when you need to Find Text, but notes are strictly handwritten with the stylus, not typed. They can be in the current work, or you can have a separate book for them (someone made a blank book with lined pages, I've seen somewhere),

C. Anything you can convert to IMP format and load, you can scrawl notes on. They're always visible, not something you can toggle, as in some programs.

D. The standard serif font used by default for body text comes in six sizes (xxs, xs, s, m, l, xl), as does the sans serif used for headers, though its sizes run bigger. See Dale's EB-1150 page. I favor the largest serif font for the books I make; it runs sixteen lines per page (that's four lines per inch), plus changing header (in smallfont, without the separating line Librarian uses).

E. No, you can get the impserve program here to load books, and use ETI's eBook Publisher to make them, both free. Breeno's Librarian is $15.

Librarian is simpler if you just like quick conversions of basic stuff. If you want to do more complex stuff, Publisher is more versatile. This is the sort of page I turn out. If you're willing to put in the effort, you can get quite nice conversions; I just settle for basic stuff, plus turning off the header at chapter starts for a cleaner look, and changing it for stories in a collection. On the actual eBookwise, it's 112 mm from the bottom of the thick grey line at top to the top of the double-lined progress bar at the bottom.

Last edited by Jadon; 11-21-2009 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote