View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #105
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Chapman View Post
I see your point. All that this version of Freda is doing is to insist that words have at least one en-space between them. The old version was actually meant to do that too, but because of a bug it would allow narrower word spacing than that. But I do agree that the 'buggy' code was actually giving a better looking page. So what I've now done is add yet another optional setting to Freda, so you can manually customise word spacing. That should let you set the word spacing you want.
On a small screen, enforcing en-space width between words seems like a poor idea. There's not enough room on the screen to get proper word density.

It's a little hard to search the web for font word space width recommendations, but I did come up with this, from which I quote:

Quote:
Space
Unicode: U+0020[List]
Advance width rule : The space's advance width is set by visually selecting a value that is appropriate for the current font. The general guidelines for the advance widths are:
  • The minimum value should be no less than 1/5 the em, which is equivalent to the value of a thin space in traditional typesetting.
  • For an average width font a good value is ~1/4 the em.
Examples given include Times New Roman, where space is 512 units vs em's 2048 and en's 1024. So perhaps rather than enforcing a full en-space between words, maybe enforce half en-space (or just regular unicode space and let the font sort it out)?

Either way, I look forward to a configuration setting for that. I really like the new UI (minus the missing chapter progress, but I trust you'll find a good place for it) and the new renderer seems much better with the smooth page turn benefits of XNA but the proper anti-aliased text rendering of non-XNA. Once I can adjust word spacing myself, it'll be near perfect.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote