View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #510
Ken.Hagdal
Connoisseur
Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken.Hagdal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do the books you review undergo any sort of initial screening process? In all seriousness, when I've looked at indie books (which I do from time to time), the majority (I'd estimate at least three quarters) have been riddled with elementary errors in spelling and grammar (eg not knowing the difference between "its" and "it's", or "your" and "you're"), and I'm afraid that's "instant fail" as far as I'm concerned.
That's the unfortunate downside of democratization. Just like what happened a few years back when HD technology allowed 2 dudes, a laptop and a $2000 camera to call themselves a production company. Then, you went to their websites and watched their trailers...

On the plus side, we have reviewers that help readers discover authors who didn't fit in the big 6's blockbuster mold, while weeding out material that was never meant to be made public. With ebooks, you can also check out the first chapter to see for yourself if the author's style jibes with you.

There was a lot of bitterness and fear in Franklin's words. And righteously so. Noone will deny the slew of bad self-published books doesn't offer anything but noone buys them, so that's no more than background noise. On the other hand, we now have our first success stories of S-Ped authors who sold over 100K copies. We're still in a transitional stage at the moment as they've just made it and their names wouldn't ring a bell to many of us. As years go by, they will keep on building their fan bases, and eventually attract attention in mainstream media.

It's this day that traditional publishers dead like hell. As for these authors' contributions,... some of them will likely read very much like traditionally published writers relying a solid mastery of their craft to tell compelling stories. But there will also be others, maybe the new Celine, Joseph Heller or Bukowski, who would be discarded as too controversial or much of a financial risk by the Big 6. It's giving me hope for mankind's future in an era when so many people get "offended" by someone just opening their mouth.
Ken.Hagdal is offline   Reply With Quote