View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
FMP
Enthusiast
FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!FMP , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: m92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
A few weeks ago I started using my M92 for taking handwritten notes at meetings at the office. Due to the limitations of the Scribble function (no search, no sorting, troublesome archiving), I am using the workaround of scribbling on blank pdf templates.
Until a few days ago, it was fine: I created a single, 10-page, lined pdf as my template. I wrote my notes on this pdf, and at the end of the meeting I used the "merge annotations" function. This created another pdf with a similar file name (adding the date and time at the end of the filename), and automatically cleared the original template. I then renamed the second (merged) pdf using my own convention. When I opened the original pdf template, it was blank again, so I could re-use it.

A few days ago, this changed. After merging, the original template was not cleared, but still had my notes from the meeting.
At first, I manually erased the notes and re-used the template, but the problem remained - after the next meeting, my notes would not be cleared from the template after merging.
When I connect the M92 to a computer and open the pdf template, it looks blank. This is because the scribbles are actually stored in a .sketch file in the folder ".onyx". If I delete this file, the template becomes blank again (also when viewed on the M92). However, after the next use the "merge" function again fails to clear the template.

Can anyone offer any advice about how to fix this? (The device is from Booxtor and runs firmware 1.8 20130425)

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Please do not suggest these workarounds:
- install file manager to manually delete the .sketch file each time;
- prepare several templates and use a different one for each meeting.
I am irritated enough that the Scribble function is unusable for its purpose. I am not happy with the limitations of the pdf workaround (no page insert/delete, need to merge scribbles before re-using the template, inability to edit the writing after merging). Any more inconvenience and I will migrate back to my EeeNote, my Iliad, or my Hanvon N800, and put the M92 on the shelf/ebay. But I would rather find a solution and keep using my M92, because the hardware is gorgeous...
What I do is to open a blank template (with an imperceptible dot at the top right corner so that it can be merged) that I open and immediately merge to produce a new blank pdf file on which I take notes (by closing the template and opening the new file, which conveniently has the date and time). This is a workaround with the minimal amount of overhead that I could come up with. Hope it helps.
FMP is offline   Reply With Quote