View Single Post
Old 01-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
GhostKobold
GhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the roughGhostKobold is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 4g, Kindle Fire, Nook ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by vferdman View Post
Well, the latest Kobo Touch firmware (1.9.16) adds the book suggestions you call "ads" just like the $99 Nook. Now what? Stop calling it "ads" or just admit that Nook is $30 cheaper for a very similar device?

BTW, my definition of advertizing in this context is ads by third party for things that may or may not be related to literature. What both B&N and Kobo do is "suggest" books from their own store. These are supposed to be somewhat targeted to your particular interests. I am not crazy about this kind of peddling, but at the same time I can't call this "advertizing" with the annoying connotations this entails. I think both devices should get rid of that "feature" or at least make it optional (disable-able?)
Forgive me if I am not following but an ad is an ad, whether you like the product or not, or its related to what you are currently looking at. If a Barnes and Nobles book ad is not an ad, then neither is a commercial on a T.V. show advertising another T.V. show. Targeted ads are still ads, just like all those Google banners that pop up for shoes when I am looking for shoes online.

I have a kindle 4g (with ads) my wife has the nook (with book suggestions)
the experience is the same on both once the book is open other than one having a touch screen and one not. I spend far more time reading on my device than I do looking around the library or staring at the home screen so for any of these three devices 99% of my time looking at them will be as ad free as my daughters kindle fire (without ads). I view them all as a valid option at $99 bucks with the nook and kindle obviously being epub friendly and if your going to side load a lot of books (or have a big epub library) the decision comes down to aesthetics, not cost.
GhostKobold is offline   Reply With Quote