View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 07:21 AM   #36
Prospect
Other
Prospect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enoughProspect will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Kindle
My conclusion after reading this thread so far would be that the generic name for the devices is “ereader”, (not to far in the future “reader” will probably do) and that the name for the content is “ebook”.

For the device there are alternatives (read-box, readpad and other) but I do not think they will make it.

There might be issues with competing companies not being allowed to refer to their devices as “eReaders” since this already is a brand name, but I think that this will not be an issue in the long run (I doubt that Sony is in position to make claims related to “Reader”, it is probably too generic).

There is of course the issue with the confusion between ereader as a generic term for the device and the ereader format, but in lack of stronger alternatives I think the possible confusion is something we would have to live with. Alternatively the name of the format could be slightly changed?
Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote