View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #20
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Okay, that's working! Glad I could help - I actually do have something of a background in programming/software development, though I'm only a dabbler now and my Python is pathetic enough that it might as well be nonexistent, so I'm pretty useless when it comes to actually helping with Calibre. But I think - I hope - I've still retained have decent testing/debugging skills and some understanding of procedure at least...

So another questions: Can you explain how sorting precedence works? For example, say I'd like to sort first on authors (A->Z), and then on my "read" column, which is a yes/no, in descending order - so all the books with "no" in that column would appear at the top, ordered by author name, all books with "yes" in the column, again ordered by author.

In the Calibre library, I accomplish this by sorting first on the author column, then on the read column. But in the plug-in, it seems to be the reverse: to get the result I want, I have to put my "read" column (sorted descending) *above* my author column in the sorting window.

Actually, now that I think about it, it kind of seems to me like the plugin logic makes more sense: sort by read/unread, then all the read books are sorted by author, and so are all the unread ones. Same for say, author and title: I think my inclination would be, sort by author, then sort by title within each author. But to get that result in the calibre library, you have to sort by title first, then author. Maybe it's a level of sorting sophistication logic I don't currently have an adequate grasp of.

Anyway, I'm not sure what my point is, except for the fact that the plugin and calibre seem not to match in their sub-sorting logic - again unless I'm missing something!
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote