View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
As a reader:
I'm sure there are some people that would be okay with it, but obtrusive ads and cloud connectivity are two big dealbreakers for me.

Yes, I know the site says "unobtrusive ads" but ads at the beginning of every chapter are obtrusive. Any ad I can't ignore is obtrusive, IMO.

As a writer:
Spending months, possibly years (remains to be seen how long) getting my words as perfect as I can get them, and then putting ads in the book? No freakin' way. Maybe it's because of my background in magazine editing / publishing, and experiencing the battle of trying to make sure the magazine was something more than an ad-wrapper. Because that's where I see this tech going - people creating ad wrappers. A new kind of content marketing, in the same vein as those endless content blogs that do nothing except mess up search results.

Edit after looking more closely, for sake of accuracy:

You can cache up to 10 books for offline use. Good thing.

They are accepting video ads and animated banner ads from advertisers. Bad thing.

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 02-23-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: more info
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote