View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
scottken
Addict
scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scottken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook color
Free - The Master of Verona by David Blixt [Historical Fic/Romeo&Juliet] [Amazon, UK]

The Master of Verona, book 1 in the Star-Crossed Lovers Series (i.e., Romeo & Juliet) is free today, June 27, on Amazon Main
UK

Orginally published by St. Martin's Press in 2007, this is the first book of a series set in Italy which explores fictional orgins of the Montague-Capulet (Romeo & Juliet) feud that became the basis for Shakespeare's play several centuries later.

If you like historical fiction by Cornwell or McCullough, I can't recommend this higly enough. I read it back in 2007 (paid $25 for my hardback!). And while the writer is a personal friend...well, I've had a number of friends ask me to read books, but I've rarely read one of this length (about 560 pages) in three days because I couldn't put the thing down.

But don't take my word for it:
Publisher's Weekly: A novel of intricate plot, taut narrative, sharp period detail and beautifully realized characters.

Kirkus: A debut historical novel peopled by Dante and other Italian Renaissance figures, along with reimagined Montagues and Capulets. Intricate plotting, well-staged scenes, and colorful descriptions enhance head-spinning but lively entertainment.

David Blixt bursts onto the historical fiction scene with this masterful tale of adventure, love, and intrigue -- this is high adventure at its best, an epic novel filled with the breathtaking feats and evanescent beauty of the early Renaissance. - C.W. Gortner

In other words, I can't recommend that you pick this up highly enough. It's a really fun read and a real bargain at $0.00.

Last edited by scottken; 06-27-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: modify thread title
scottken is offline   Reply With Quote