View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 03:46 AM   #12
mjdb
Kiwi Member
mjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-booksmjdb has learned how to read e-books

Device: NAEB Bookeen Cybook Gen3, eBookman
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Can anyone who was experiencing issues with lost bookmarks and/or lost reading positions with the Gen3 let us know whether or not the new firmware update has improved things for them?
I had this problem with the original firmware for the first 24 hours after my Cybook was delivered.
Chkdsk showed the FAT file system on the SD card supplied by Bookeen was reproducably corrupt after the Cybook wrote to the SD card.
After reformatting the SD card to use the FAT32 filesystem,
(the same filesytem as the internal flash memory),
I had absolutely no problems for more than two months of almost daily usage.

Yesterday, I upgraded the firmware from v1 to v1.1.
That was easy and untroubled, (and also fixed the mp3 bug [1]).

After the upgrade I copied some extra books to one subdirectory on the SD card, and my experinces have been that reading was fine initially, but later I noticed that the reader was not saving its current position in the book, nor was it saving bookmarks[2].

I ran chkdsk and there was a filesystem problem in the eBook subdirectory
into which the new books had been copied.
This time the problem ("trailing folder entries") was one that Chkdsk could
fix without any data loss, and after running chkdsk /f, the Cybook is now
remembering its place and remembering bookmarks.

Before I fixed the filesystem, but after I noticed the fail to save problem,
the cybook also crashed several times, requiring a reset.

So I don't yet know if the newer firmware was responsible, or my file copying.
I will wait and see if the problem recurs.

After fixing the filesystem on the SD card (without needing to reformat) just the once since upgrading the firmware, I have had no futher problems with it failing to save bookmarks or remember its place in a book.

Since the firmware upgrade, it also seems a bit harder to get the timing
right when tricking the Cybook into eBook Reading Mode while connected to external power (done by entering Slideshow mode, connecting power, and exiting slideshow mode and returning to the book reader).

So I had the problem with v1 until I fixed the SD card system.

The problem recurred with the upgrade to v1.1, but after fixing the SD file system it hasn't yet recurred.

Martin.

[1] so I can now listen to podcasts of The Future and You, including readings from JBU on my cybook (before the upgrade they were playing too fast).
http://www.thefutureandyou.libsyn.co...egory=podcasts
However now that it will play these mp3s, I have decided that the Cybook is a useless mp3 player for podcasts which tend to be long - 60 mins plus.

No display of elapsed time, or time remaining.
No saving of current position in the audio file.
and NO FAST FORWARD !!
So you have to listen to everything from the beginning every time you restart. (All of these could be fixed by a software upgrade)

[2] Interestingly, the bookmark symptom on this occasion, differed from last time. Last time the bookmark symbol appeared in the corner of the screen, but wasn't saved. This time the symbol didn't appear, which was a useful indication of a problem.

HOWEVER, despite all the things above, I should note that I really love my
Cybook - it functions as an eBook reader, and the screen display is really
truely glorious - that being what I bought it for, I remain very pleased.
mjdb is offline   Reply With Quote