View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Chandler is not particularly to my taste but I agree that he is a great writer.
Chandler wrote mostly good scenes, with not so much of a plot to hold them together.
A large part of his short stories, even if not connected between them, ended up as chpaters in his longer novels.

The short stories are better than the full novels, IMHO.

Back to the OP's question:

For mysteries, I really love Georges Simenon and Ellery Queen.
I also think that Asimov's Caves of Steel is a very good mystery novel, at least in the Si-Fi genre.

If I was requested to write a "best of the century" list, I'd manage to include also:

Jack and Jill and Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson
The Coffin Dancer and The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver
The Millennium Trilogy (at least the first instalment) by Stieg Larsson
The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco (which will be included in the best Historical Fiction, too)

Last edited by Format C:; 06-28-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote