View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Treadstone71
Treadstone71 doesn't litterTreadstone71 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, iPhone 4, iPad 1, Kindle 3rd Gen., Kindle Fire, Nook STR
I think Amazon has made some mistakes in this roll-out.

First, for the student market, the 6 school trial is limited to 300 students total (50 per school). If you're going to have such a small trial, shouldn't you maybe do that before you launch the product? If they had already done small trials, surely rumors would have leaked out before this?

For the newspaper market, I was really hoping to hear details of the subsidized models. If it was something along the lines of $200 + $20/month for 2 years, I may already have put in a pre-order. However, the only detail I've been able to find is that the subsidized version will only be available where home delivery of the paper is not available. One of the reasons I don't subscribe to any newspaper is that I don't want to deal with the physical artifact on a daily basis.

I'm also a bit concerned with the fact that it's not releasing until "summer". I remember the Sony PRS-500 was announced at CES as available in "spring", but was delayed until September. But, that will actually help me, as I can see if Apple announces anything at WWDC next month, and maybe Sony or B&N will have something new in the next couple months. It makes me wonder if Amazon knows something beyond the rumors and wanted to be first out of the gate and to try to lock up pre-orders.

Really, I'm more likely to upgrade my Sony to the 505 and wait to see if Apple really does have a media-pad planned than to get either Kindle.
Treadstone71 is offline   Reply With Quote