Thread: My Nook review
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #6
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Probably outing myself as totally ignorant of my readers: You mention "indexing" as a huge advantage of Kindles over nook.
Why is this of any benefit? First of all, sometimes I simply don't know what my Sony or Kindle readers are doing. They are busy - for whatever reason. No biggy, but at least no benefit.
But second, I don't find any advantage of that. I don't recognise any indexing on iRex 800 or nook (are they doing it quietly in the background or not at all?). But why is this of any disadvantage? In which matter is indexing helping me?
Just for comparison: In my library of 100 B&N books and 400 side loaded books, nook (no idea, whether it's indexing or not) finds my title of choice in less than 1 second. Okay, without softroot I have 2 libraries instead of 1, so I have to decide where to search (or use nookLibrary).
The Kindle doesn't just create an index of the ebook titles, it makes an index for the ebook contents. This can be very useful if you want to search inside all the ebooks for a particular phrase. There are times where this is really useful, and when the Kindle was released this was the WOW Factor.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote