View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7zzv View Post
A kepub is a format developed by Kobo based off of epub. It's (almost) an epub with a few files added, the main "html" doc broken into smaller chunks, and extra tags added.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7zzv View Post
I want input and output support, but since a kepub is an epub, I'm hoping it'll be almost free. The only non-conforming part that I know of is extra attributes in the span tags, which I assume the parser will happily ignore.
This is a little picky, but the "broken into smaller chunks" is wrong. The division of text into files in kepub is exactly the same as for epub. I have compared the kepub and epub versions of books I have bought from Kobo, and in general they are the same. None of the extra code is illegal. There are extra spans with a Kobo specific class and a sequential id.

If you want to do this, go ahead, but I don't think it is very useful. While any non-DRM protected kepub can be treated as an ePub, the extras aren't useful anywhere outside a Kobo device. Kepubs can be read with the Kobo iOS or Android apps, but I think they can only read those download from Kobo by the app.

If you want to use an epub as a kepub on the devices, then all you need to do is rename it to have ".kepub.epub" as the extension. That gives most of the "advantages" of a kepub.

There is also no point in adding DRM protected kepubs to calibre. You can't read them and you can't remove the DRM. And I don't think you can put them back onto the device and read them.

Finally, there is already a driver being developed to send epubs to the Kobo devices as kepubs. This is at https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver. This does the updates to the epubs when the book is sent to the device. I will be merging this into the current driver when I am happy that it works well and I have time. Last time I checked, it would handle at least 90% of the epubs out there. The ones it doesn't would probably work after a calibre conversion. This has been discussed in the Kobo forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote