View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #23
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Here are a few thoughts. Probably not comprehensive.

Cons:
  • I don't like losing the physical buttons:
    • Lack of page-turn buttons means I have to take off my gloves on cold train platforms just to swipe the screen.
    • Back, Menu, and Home now take 2 taps each (the first one to display the options bar on screen) instead of 1 button.
  • I sorely miss the ability to use the 5-way controller to jump between sections by clicking it left and right. That functionality is just gone on the PW.
  • I also mourn the loss of the progress bar. The percentage display and "37 min left in this book" in no way make up for that loss.
  • The lack of text-to-speech is highly inconvenient.
  • I strongly dislike that the memory is so much smaller than the KK (feels like we're traveling back in time or something ). Now I actually have to think about which books to put onboard, rather than just loading every book I've ever found.
  • The battery doesn't last as long.

Pros:
  • The backlight is very nice!
    • Doesn't tire my eyes out at all after a while the way an LCD screen does.
    • In the right lighting conditions it can fake my eyes out and just look like a bright-background display instead of the reality of a medium-bright-background display being lit up.
  • The touch screen is great for highlighting text, way better than the 4-way.
  • It's also good for browsing the Kindle store.
  • I love how it turns on automatically when you open the Amazon cover.
  • Cover view! Yay!
  • I like that it comes with 6 fonts for Roman languages, rather than just "Regular," "Condensed," and "Sans-serif"
  • It's also easy to tweak it to add custom fonts without even needing to jailbreak it.
  • It's multilingual right out of the box.
  • I've long wanted the ability to set the full-page reset-flash to "only every so often" rather than "every $*@#= page."
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote