View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am thirding Purge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hope I can say without sounding churlish that I'm a little fatigued by doorstopper Russian classics and that I'd love to see us pick a recent novel from one of the newly independent former Soviet republics and not necessarily this one.
Second that, also because there is a sense in which for these classic the comparative advantage of discussing them in the book club are lower (because of so much written on them) than for less known stuff. The problem is finding English translations (let alone ebook versions). I came across this article in the Guardian, but could not find much. I am not giving up just yet though...

EDIT: I'll nominate The Silent Steppe:
Quote:
The Silent Steppe is an enthralling story of a family living through one of the most traumatic periods of Soviet history, as seen through the eyes of a young boy growing up in a family of Kazakh nomads. It encompasses the horrors of political persecution and famine in the 1930s, and culminates in the author's first hand account of the Battle of Stalingrad and his long trek home through freezing winter conditions after being wounded and discharged from the Red Army.
(from here)

Available as pbook only, I am afraid, and not cheap, e.g. here: wasn't quite sure whether this is too much, but I guess "secondments" will tell!

Last edited by paola; 11-04-2012 at 08:28 AM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote