View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #197
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Or just use a different IP address for each Kindle.
Since that private address range is 192.168.0.0/16 you shouldn't run into this problem until you have more than (2^16)-3 Kindles hooked up.
My earlier kindles use uniq IP addresses. I created a script to assign them unique hwaddr too, so I can plug them all info USB ports and access all of them without arp table collisions. Look for my mntusb script in the collected hacks sticky.
Quote:
The message says which key (line number, same thing) in your known_hosts file is the conflicting one - use a text editor to delete it.
Except, like I said, you would have this problem again every time you plug in a different kindle using the same IP address. The k4 and touch have a preferred address (192.168.15.244) and the want the host PC to be at 192.168.15.201. Changing this will make some things not work unless reconfigured in the kindle configs.
Quote:
With known_hosts redirected to /dev/null you lose host authentication, not something you want to throw away if using your ssh client to connect to things other than a single Kindle under test.
Okay, you caught me red-handed on that one (almost). I did not take the time to go back and see how I *really* handled this situation...

Actually, my error message was a little different, pointing to a different hosts file in ~/.ssh/known_hosts. I did not replace it with a symlink. What I did is to change a line in ~/.ssh/config:
UserKnownHostsFile /dev/null

I found that solution to my problem somewhere in the vast "interwebs", and it worked for me. I use putty on windows to connect to ssh in the outside world, so not a problem for me.

Do you have a way that would allow multiple kindles with different IPs to connect without this message, and not having to edit the known_hosts file every time?

The way I thought of as mentioned above is to use the same key file in all the kindles. I actually did copy the rsa key file between main and diags partitions for the kindle image files I use for debricking, to prevent that message when using SSH on main and diags on the same kindle. I am considering just copying that to my other kindles, then I do not need to use the /dev/null "solution", and accessing outside ssh hosts would not be a problem.

Is there a better way?

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote