View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
And I don't agree that one doesn't need to read fiction slowly, it all depends on the book: some prose demands to be savored, just like a good meal (I like cooking for others).
Who said it doesn't need to be? There's only been suggestions that much of it doesn't HAVE to be read slowly.

For me, there's really only two reasons I might slow down when reading fiction:
1) The author is what I call a "wordsmith." The writing flows naturally and it feels like I need to approach it with a more languid mindset.
2) The writing is so stilted or awkward (or pretentiously difficult) that I need to slow down (or re-read) for comprehension purposes.

#1 is a fairly common occurrence that causes me no grief or discomfort. In fact, I sometimes don't even notice I'm doing it. It's only a slight slowing of my typical reading speed. #2 is just plain annoying and I won't voluntarily tolerate it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote