View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #13
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Argh I am sick of reading about tablet PCs being the e-ink killer. I wish that authors of these articles did a little thinking before typing.

- Most people with ereaders have a 5" or 6" screen. Essentially the smallest laptop screen is 7" on the Asus EeePC (which is barely big enough to do anything on).
- Given the screen size issue, you'd expect at least a 10" screen to allow for decent sized icons on the screen for touch etc. Straight away the size will scare off people who like small dedicated ereaders.
- For a tablet to be successful it needs to run Windows (be honest, business wont buy them if they don't, schools wont buy them etc). That means a tablet will need probably a minimum of the Intel Atom 1.6 to run. That will make the device heavy and hot (with fans as well).

Now comes the cost issue. They will more than likely cost more than a laptop, offer no dedicated keyboard (except software driven - not really practical - ask any iphone owner to type an sms and you'll know what I mean). So will a device that is approx the same size as a laptop (perhaps thinner), cost more than a laptop, be fundamentally more difficult to use than a dedicated computer, be an ereader killer?
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote