View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Penguin View Post
Camus' L’Étranger was published in 1943 in English, is there any reason this (or any other of his works) are not up on Gutenberg?

If not I have an lrf that I can upload. This is my favourite book, and I'd hate for anyone to miss out on it
In the USA, books published after 1923 are still in copyright. In other countries, it appears that the copyright is based on the author's lifetime -- add 50 or 70 to the year of death and the copyright on his or her works expires on 31 December of that year.

Camus died on 4 January 1960, so in Canada (a life+50 country), his works should come out of copyright on 31 December 2010. In Australia (now a life+70 country), they'll be in copyright until 31 December 2030.

Disclaimer: I am *not* an IP lawyer and I may have misread or mis-understood what I read, so verify my information.

Given that the .lrf version of the book that you have is {most likely} for a work still in copyright in the US and Canada, it would not be acceptable to upload to this server. If you can find documentation that specifically states that this work is out of copyright in either country, it would be acceptable to upload.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote