View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 11:14 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have an iLiad and a Kindle 1, but I am now almost exclusively using an EZ Reader (Hanlin V3). Before I bought the EZ Reader I found that the Iliad was better than the Kindle around the house, but I preferred the Kindle when away from home. This was primarily because of FBReader on the iLiad, and I now use FBReader on the EZ Reader (via OpenInkPot). A big advantage of the EZ Reader is the very long battery life (the Kindle 2 has a longer battery life, but not as long as the Hanlin).

The native reader software on the Kindle is about the same as MobiPocket Reader on the iLiad (same software base). With no font choice and fewer font sizes, but otherwise with a better integrated reading experience. The Kindle 2 allows the reader to change the line spacing, which is a plus.

I buy about a third of my ebooks from Amazon now, and I read them on the other devices (AZW only, there are also TOPAZ ebooks in the Kindle store) aftter stripping the DRM. The Kindle store is the reason I am keeping my Kindle. Since you have an iPhone, you can also buy Kindle store ebooks and read them on the iLiad if you are willing to strip the DRM (generally thought to be illegal in the US, even for personal use on ebooks you buy). It would also be possible now to buy Adobe PDF ebooks and strip their DRM. I have no idea how well the resulting PDFs would display on the Iliad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote