View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 06:56 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Thumbs up Just got my Cybook Opus

I'm just unpacking my new Cybook Opus. I've ordered on Monday evening, they've sent it on Thursday evening, it has arrived on Friday at noon.

First impression: Wow, I didn't expect it being that small. It's not too far from my old PDAs, I definitely will be able to carry it with me even when traveling "light". Like it.

It's coming in a protective sleeve, no foldable cover. Don't like that, I'd just like to open it like a p-book instead of taking it out of the sleeve. I'll check out for alternatives.
But: At least it comes with protection. Lots of the other readers come without any kind of protection.

I'll compare boot time and other details in my thread "8+ readers" (now it's 9+).

Screen orientation works flawlessly.

Initial boot was surprisingly slow. Maybe (hopefully) just for the first time, generating indexes or something like that.

Battery indicates 90%, so I can test right ahead.

Menu structure ist quite similar to Cybook Gen3, of course.
I love the thumbnail view and can't understand, why most of the other readers don't use it.
Only Sony 700 has a similar feature.
I'd really love to see it on Kindle DX's or iRex 1000S's huuuuuge displays.

Display quality: Briefly checking the user guide. I'm not too enthusiastic about the cover graphic. Looks a bit "fuzzy", have to compare the very same book/graphic on different readers to check in detail.
Text is great though, no complaints so far.

And again: The size of the unit is really cool. Reminds of slightly oversized PDA....
More in my thread....

FILE FORMATS: SURPRISE!
QUOTE from USER GUIDE:
Adobe PDF/ePUB (DRM/non-DRM)
Mobipocket (DRM/non-DRM)
What? Both of them? Wasn't aware of that, have to test...
Would be BRILLIANT!
UPDATE from Bookeen's website: "Note: Mobipocket support can be available via firmware upgrade. Adobe and Mobipocket DRMs can not be supported at the same time".
Well, would have been nice.

Attached: Pic iRex 1000S - Samsung Q1 - Cybook Opus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06698.jpg
Views:	910
Size:	977.8 KB
ID:	33341  

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 08:04 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote