View Single Post
Old 07-09-2022, 10:52 AM   #21
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
This is all the fault of the FREE/BARGAIN - Horror/Supernatural thread, I swear...

In that thread, Phantoms by Dean R. Koontz (it was a book from back when he had a middle initial) went on sale. That started a mini-discussion.

I mentioned liking Whispers, Phantoms, and Watchers the most. At the time, I didn't remember reading Lightning, but after reading about it, I'm sure I did read it, and it was kind of bonkers! And how come I forgot to mention Midnight?!

So now I am nostalgic and wondering which Dean Koontz books I should read that I missed. I was reading him the the 1990s, but I didn't end up reading some of his most popular books (like Intensity).

And which of the books I loved I should re-read first?!

Note: More recently, I read Your Heart Belongs to Me and liked parts of it (the subtle creepiness) -- but was put off by how it was handled. (I reviewed it for AAR.) I haven't gotten into the Odd Thomas series.

And I am nostalgic for some of his even earlier stuff: The Face of Fear, The Vision, Night Chills, and The Key to Midnight. I also liked The Voice of the Night (but forgot to mention it). I recently learned several of them are available on Kindle Unlimited!

The most obscure Koontz book I might own is a battered copy of How to Write Best-Selling Fiction. It's a rare one, but my copy is probably worth a lot less because I wrote notes about my own story in it.

The Taking is super scary. His scariest in my opinion next to demon seed
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Taking

I loved Ashley Bell.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote