View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
This may be unique to my machine.

FYI the below error happens running calibre portable without Dropbox even running on the computer. Also I have not been able to repeat the problem with Calibre 64. Both instances run on the same box utilizing the same library (not at the same time).

I'm having some problems with the smartdevice cache when using calibre portable. After closing and restarting calibre portable I get the following error and the cache needs to do a complete metadata rebuild from CC to calibre.

Quote:
calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Problem starting the wireless device: The wireless device driver did not start. It said "start smartdevice unknown exception"
When I look, it shows it as being started.

I decided to start fresh and, with calibre closed, I deleted the device_drivers_SMART_DEVICE_APP_metadata_cache.pic kle file from calibre portable.

I then started up calibre portable w/o error (run from local C: drive). I connected CC as a wireless device and let it rebuild the cache. I disconnected and reconnected several times with connect times as expected.

I exited calibre portable then re-entered and everything was fine. I connected and disconnected a few more times without a hitch.

I exited calibre portable then re-entered and got the same error

Quote:
calibre, version 1.5.0
ERROR: Problem starting the wireless device: The wireless device driver did not start. It said "start smartdevice unknown exception"
When I look it shows it as being started.

After receiving this error, when I connected, the cache has to be sent in total. Once the cache is rebuilt I can disconnect and reconnect as often as I like without error, but restart calibre and the error and rebuilding the cache happens every time until I delete the pickle and rebuild fresh.

I started fresh and limited the connection to once per calibre portable start and was able to go 6 straight restarts without an error. The error seems to pop up only after multiple connects and disconnects followed by restarting calibre.

Additionally when I delete the pickle it is either 163M or 336M in size, but the one for the calibre 64 version is 506M and the 506M version works fine with calibre portable.

It is always possible that it may be my machine. I'll try calibre portable on my work machine tonight and see if the same thing occurs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote