View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #15
booksonthemove
Connoisseur
booksonthemove began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600 with latest Calibre and Linux Ubuntu-9.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_me View Post
I haven't read much about whether the PRS-600 works well as an MP3 player. I generally listen to classical music, so overall sound quality is important to me, and so are other factors such as continuity between tracks. For example, sometimes on CDs single movements are split into multiple tracks, and on early Ipods there was a very annoying gap when you moved from one track to the next. Also, do you ever get breaks in the sound if you read at the same time - for example if you turn to a page with a big picture on it? How about battery life during playback?

I'd be interested to know whether other people on the list consider that the PRS-600 rates as a good MP3 player as well as an Ereader?
The 600 is primarily an ereader. It has an audio player bolted on for convenience. I have found it perfectly adequate. I'd like if it played a little louder though, but I could get round this if i applied normalise to the ripping process. I actually looked for audio playback in the reader in order to play audiobooks (after all, these are books too), although sometimes it's nice to play a little music. The quality is fine. If I want mega quality, I'll rip to AAC and play on my hi-fi. If I want to organise my music, I'll use some other application on the computer. The reader is really a single-purpose device for books of different types, and I like it that way.

I have been reading on the device while it plays music and turning the page does not interrupt it. Bear in mind that reading consumes almost no juice but playing does, and relative to reading, it is a huge amount.

Regarding movements being split across multiple tracks, the stop/start didn't bother me when I was listening to multiple mp3s - it was what I'd expect just listening to the cd. If you wish, you could rip/encode an entire cd as one track which would eliminate any possibility of what you describe from happening, but this is a function of how you rip the original in the first place rather than the reader.
booksonthemove is offline   Reply With Quote