Thread: 1.7 announced
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
As my understanding, why is it difficult to open multiple documents?
I didn't mean it was difficult, just more involved than tracking the last state of one document. I was just making a relative comparison between one versus many, not a statement that many is necessarily hard to do.

My guess though, is that what they're really planning on is that once the final power management function is in place, you will no longer do a cold shutdown of the device. There will be a suspend-to-flash that will basically put it into a "hibernate" mode when not in use for long periods of time. When you push the button to "turn it back on", it just needs to recover the device from flash and continue. In that scenario, they don't really need to do anything special for adding a "re-open" feature. It'll be automatic as part of recovering from hibernation.

Solving the problem that way would mean that they don't need to worry about tracking which documents you have open and restoring them at all. It would be the default behavior based on recovering from flash.

That's how a lot of small electronic devices work, you never really shut them down completely, they just go into a "deep sleep", "hibernate", or whatever you want to call it, state.

Last edited by Shaggy; 07-02-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote