View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
As far as displaying text, there should be no difference between 4 or 8 shades. (Text is black--only one shade.) Like JS Wolf says, you'll notice a difference if you're viewing pictures on the reader. I wouldn't expect there to be a really noticable difference in speed between the 4 or 8 shades, but there probably is a minimal difference.

Jerryprism--no e-ink device is going to have a back light. Backlighting won't work with the technology. You can get a Sony 700 that will have side lights--that's the only e-ink device with lighting actually built in. And as Kelly says, the Sony also takes SD.

As far as replaceable batteries go, for me that's a non-issue. I've had my Sony 505 for 15 months now, and still get three to four weeks out of a single charge--that's with reading between one and five hours every day on it. I do know that there kits to replace the battery out there as well--but don't have any specific knowledge of how easy the battery is to replace.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote