Thread: Resizing covers
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 01:36 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
What about the problem of the image used in the Edit Metadata dialog reappearing and replacing the one in the book, which happens if I touch the metadata in any way but forget to set the cover image to the one in the book? The external metadata settings seem to override the metadata stored in the book, and the book also gets updated to match.

Ideally I'd prefer not to have to edit the book at all, but just the metadata... for example, I can replace the cover entirely by pasting a new cover onto the Book Details pane, and that image then automagically appears in the book as well. But resizing the existing cover is a completely different kettle of very bony fish.

(Personally I find 300px acceptable for display on a Kindle, but obviously YMMV.)

After the eBook is edited, in Calibre with that eBook selected, press E. Then in the metadata dialog, in the upper right corner, select the eBook if more then one format, and press the blueish icon net to the eBook list. That will get the cover from the eBook and replace the existing cover. I do it and it works very well.

I have never used the Resize Cover plugin and I don't find it useful given that you can do the same thing in the editor.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-24-2020 at 01:42 PM.