View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 07:26 AM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I can't resist sharing yet another "The New Leaf Book Club is everywhere" moment.

I was simultaneously listening to the first Jeeves novel, Thank You, Jeeves (well, not at the same time, but you'll get my meaning), and there was more than one reference to "woman wailing for her demon lover." These synhronicities always tickle me.

I loved this. I was amused and challenged, as it was both witty and intricate. I've always been lukewarm on HHGTTG and I never would read this on my own, so I've been particularly delighted with it as a selection. I've already put the sequel on hold at OverDrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Adams' fiction, for me, has always been a matter of mood. In the right mood, the whimsical diversions and elaborations all just fit in perfectly ... but in the wrong mood they frustrate. Of course, it can be quite difficult with Adams' work to distinguish what is a whimsical diversion and what is key plot point. I strongly suspect that, very often, the former has evolved into the latter as the book developed.
I know this would reward a reread, or at least a reskim, to follow the plot lines as they converged, now that I know the destination. As it was, I agree with you. Some things were obvious, such as the three questions of George III. It's harder to know in retrospect what I missed. I also agree that there's an element of hit or miss with the prose; this is a very funny book, but some attempts at humor fell flat, at least for me. But I suspect this is par for the course; not everything will appeal to one's individual funny bone, and the reader probably benefits from some downtime anyway. In part, I think that's the point of the serious disquisitions interspersed throughout the book; we'd stop appreciating wordplay if it were relentless.

I see that my post above contained a mild spoiler for those who've not finished, but I think it's an example of one of the earmarks of time travel books, so only a spoiler in specifics and not in type. Hence the reference to Oily-Moily, and really I think that must have been a direct reference by Fry to Adams.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote