View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #310
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
LaunchPad failed to install Librerator 2.

Thanks, knc1, for the tip that the Kindle's usb root folder is indeed where to copy the LaunchPad zip file, and also for the tip about the Librerator ebook reading app.

My installation of LaunchPad may have succeeded, although I don't know how to test it fully.

The installation of LaunchPad didn't create the customupdates folder. The installation instructions of Librerator don't say where to create that folder, so I created it in the Kindle's usb root folder. I recommend updating the LaunchPad zip file so that the customupdates folder will be automatically created (if it doesn't already exist) when LaunchPad is installed, or at least adding to the installation instructions and to the README file a step about creation of the folder.

After I copied the Librerator 2 zip file into customupdates, I typed "Shift Shift I" as the instructions said, but the only result appeared to be a "Failure" message briefly displayed at the bottom of the Kindle screen. I assume it was LaunchPad that displayed the "Failure" message, which is a hint that the installation of LaunchPad had been at least partially successful.

I also tried moving the customupdates folder into the launchpad folder, but I got the same "Failure" message after typing "Shift Shift I".

Since I'm new to both LaunchPad and Librerator, I don't know which of them is more likely to have caused the installation failure. If details about the failure are supposed to be in the launchpad.log file, then I think LaunchPad may be at fault, because that file is empty (zero bytes). It would certainly help to have more information than the vague "Failure" message provides.

Where can I find information about the file and directory structures that LaunchPad requires in an app's installation zip file, and information about where LaunchPad is supposed to extract the contents of the zip file? (The Librerator zip file contains three folders: kite, launchpad and librerator. The zip's launchpad folder contains only one file, librerator.ini, which I assume should be extracted into the Kindle's launchpad folder when LaunchPad installs the zip, but it wasn't.)

The Librerator zip file still existed after the "Failure" message. Would LaunchPad have deleted it if LaunchPad had successfully installed Librerator?

Is it possible that I'll need a more recent jailbreak in order for LaunchPad to run properly, or is LaunchPad compatible with very old jailbreaks?

Thanks in advance to anyone who tries to help.
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote