View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #308
Kindle3w_Pdfs
Enthusiast
Kindle3w_Pdfs began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Incomplete installation instructions for LaunchPad?

Hi,

The installation instructions in this thread's sticky post (the first post on page 1) seem either incomplete or confusing. One of the installation steps says to copy the LaunchPad package "to your device under user root directory [/mnt/us]" However, the only folders displayed by Windows Explorer (when I connect my Kindle 3 to my Windows pc via USB and use Windows Explorer to open the Kindle drive) are:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
linkss
music
Is there another step that must be done first to gain access to the /mnt/us directory? Or are we supposed to simply copy to the top level folder displayed by Windows Explorer (which contains the folders I listed above)? I hope the sticky post will be edited to clarify the step.

Also, the sticky post suggests viewing the README file for further details, but it doesn't provide a link to the file nor say where the file can be found.

(The reason I'm interested in LaunchPad is to be able to launch alternative ebook viewers on my Kindle 3. Most of my ebooks are pdf or epub. I got tired of using Calibre on my pc to convert epub to mobi, and I got tired of using PdfTools on my pc to manually crop the right & left margins of pdf files (which takes a lot of trial & error to minimize the margins without losing content). Reading on my Android cellphone has been much more convenient, since there exist Android ebook reader apps that automatically crop pdf margins and display epub, so I don't use the Kindle much anymore. But I do miss the Kindle's long-lasting battery. And for viewing pdf I miss the Kindle's larger screen, which permits a 20% larger fontsize for pdf than on my cellphone. Pdf books are quite readable on the Kindle 3 when viewed using fit-to-width, landscape mode, assuming the margins are cropped.)

Thanks in advance for your help with LaunchPad's installation instructions!
Kindle3w_Pdfs is offline   Reply With Quote