View Single Post
Old 09-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
N13L5
tenjooberrymuds
N13L5 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Nokia's Symbian S60 5th edition - slim pickings

Only very few things I could find:

The built in Adobe Reader is useless, since it uses up a third of the screen for its UI, with no option to go fullscreen. How inept can you get, Adobe?

AlternateReader is a freeware pdf reader and absolutely blows it out of the water...
Fullscreen mode and good zoom, various options on how you want to scroll and page down/page up.

The big drawback is that pdf still just barely works for a 4" screen - fun its not.

Then there's Barns&Nobles' eReader. its insanely slow, which negates its extensive feature set. Its totally centered around buying more books online, rather than reading what you have - it insists on connecting as soon as you start it. You can copy .pdb books to one specific directory to open them, which did not work for me, cause apparently my pdb books were the wrong type of pdb. By the time I figured that out, I had already removed the thing.

It has that dictionary feature that I haven't seen elsewhere, which I'd love if the whole package wasn't so slow.

ZX Reader on the other hand works as expected, its quick, lets you open files from wherever they are on your phone, goes full screen with sensible controls. More specifically, it lets you page up and down with the volume rocker/buttons on your phone instead of pushing around the screen with your finger. I mean, I like the big screens on touchscreen phones, but I'd still prefer to have a few more buttons for basic functions! ZX Reader does lack an option for a serif font though. Thats the one thing I really miss.
Its freeware too, and the most usable one I found for crummy old S60.

QuickOffice this is a full Microsoft Office compatible package, it sets you back around $20 or so.
I used it for reading, but it sure isn't meant to do that. I had to split books into separate text files for chapters, cause otherwise its impossible to ever find where you were in a book. The scroll bar is extemely inaccurate. But at least the latest version doesn't swallow the first or last line of any given screen of text anymore...

Mobi Reader - its hard too believe, but they're stuck on a 3 year old non-touchscreen version, that gives you a little over half of your screenspace to display your book. You can't even blame that on Amazon, cause a 5th edition compatible reader should have been released long before Amazon bought them out to snuff a competing format identical to their own. :P

Regrettably, this is all I found, googling around the web for readers... And I almost didn't manage to install ZX Reader due to an expired certificate. Nokia has this "signed" sheme, which is costly for developers. A kind programmer filling a need offering freeware has to pay Nokia for certificates to give away his software. No wonder Nokia's app availability is marginal and its smartphone market share is collapsing.

If anyone found something else, plz let me know

Last edited by N13L5; 09-22-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: clarification
N13L5 is offline   Reply With Quote