View Single Post
Old 08-29-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
... I am very surprised that not everybody has the crashes. I always just assumed it was firmware bugs. Mine is so bad that I can never open the web browser, but I've seen that problem elsewhere on this forum. Yesterday it restarted just from me highlighting something. The worst part is that whenever it randomly restarts, somehow it forgets where I was in the book, and then I have to skip forward a bunch of pages until I find my spot again.
Sounds like a bug, but you might read this report:

http://blogkindle.com/2010/08/kindle...iew-follow-up/

They seem to feel one crashing issue involves the Kindle's "text indexing":

"Some users reported problems with browser or apps. Kindle software would occasionally crash. It is generally believed that it’s caused by background indexing process running alongside browser. Whenever new book, text file or document is downloaded to Kindle, it is indexed to provide almost instantaneous search results. This process is resource intensive and may conflict with web-browser or word game applications that are available for Kindle."

They go on to say that indexing a large number of books, like the 100's many new users download or sideload day one, can take a very long time (several hours).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote