View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Calibre keeps a copy of the book in its storage, let's call it the reference copy. When you Send to device, a new temporary copy is made, updated with the current metadata, and delivered to the device, iTunes in this case.

When iTunes gets the file, it writes some additional content into the ePub, specific to iTunes and iBooks. It's not a good idea to allow iTunes to write to calibre's reference copy, because this could have a negative impact on future exports to other devices.

I'll review this to see if there's another way to deal with it, but iTunes is very finicky about storage and writing to its copies of the books, as is calibre.

G
Yeh that all makes sense an I know its iTunes 'special' needs that are getting in the way here however at the moment I just drag a book from calibre into iTunes and this does not alter the original file stored in the calibre directory at all?

I just did it with an epub locked to read only. can it still write to a file even if its locked?

Maybe a better solution for allof this would be an add to iTunes option rather than an iPAD only option that creates a NEW copy of the epub in the Itunes directory AND adds it to iTunes then use itunes to sync the books, this would then also work once iBooks is added to iPhone in the summer.

this would also work if someone had add copy to library selected although they would have a duplicate unless you can set the driver to then delete the
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote