View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 03:32 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spolle View Post
However, the normal page turning is a problem. This means that if the users clumsy fingers misses the hyperlink text, he will instead go forward (or backward) one page.
That's only a problem if the ebook reader turns pages by touching. I guess most of them nowadays do, but it's not something inherent to the ebook format. Besides, some readers (mine, for instance) let you select links without using the touchscreen, which is a possible workaround.

Quote:
I could, of course, duplicate each page.
No, you couldn't, because you don't know where each page starts and ends, that depends on the font family and size, screen size, orientation, margins, linespacing... all of those could change from reader to reader.

Unless you are creating one of those concoctions called "fixed-format" ePub. A PDF would be much better in this case.

Quote:
Is there any 'legal' way to expand the clickable area of a hyperlink beyond that of a simple text area? I know that I could do nasty hacks like put a <table> inside a <a>, but this not the kind of coding e-book readers will expect.
You can add more text to the link, like instead of "see chapter <a href...>3</a>" you could write "<a href...>see chapter 3</a>". But if you are thinking of extending the active link area above and below the text, without affecting the normal text layout... I think that would be tricky, and I wouldn't expect it to work correctly in many readers.

Quote:
Is it possible to avoid page breaks in certain areas of the text? (this is to avoid that the user misses a hyperlink option because it is on the next page.)
In theory, you can use "page-break: avoid" inside a block's CSS. In practice, this is often not properly supported.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote